The Journal of Emerging Investigators (JEI) organization has been growing and expanding our reach. With middle and high school student submissions from over 20 countries, a network off 250+ worldwide reviewers and a record 2022 for submissions and publications, we're excited to welcome new board members to our leadership team.
While we publish articles within biological and physical sciences, we are much more than a science journal. JEI seeks to help students become investigators and young scientists, connect with the science community and further their educational experiences by publishing their work.
Our approach encourages the development of a robust board of diverse people, careers and life experiences. We are currently seeking new board members and welcome people who have an interest in our work and truly care about the next generation of students.
Here is our board of directors job description:
The Board will support the work of JEI and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by JEI’s executive director (ED), the Board-ED relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected. Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
Leadership, governance and oversight
- Serving as a trusted advisor to the Executive Director as s/he develops and implements JEI’s strategic plan.
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by JEI for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics; reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings.
- Approving JEI’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities.
- Contributing to an annual performance evaluation of the ED directed and delivered by the Chair of the Board.
- Assisting the Executive Director and board chair in identifying and recruiting other Board Members.
- Partnering with the Executive Director and other board members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out.
- Serving on committees or task forces and taking on special assignments.
- Representing JEI to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the
- Ensuring JEI’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities JEI serves.
- Board members report to the Board Chair.
- Board members are expected to attend a majority of board meetings and indicate when planned absence will be necessary.
- Each board member will select a committee to join. Options include board development, resources, and programming.
Interested professionals are encouraged to reach out to Dr. Sarah Fankhauser, Board Chair, at [email protected]