Looking for a way to give back through science education, all while furthering your professional development as a scientist?
JEI was established by graduate students at Harvard University to reinvest in the next generation of researchers, both teaching skills in professional academic writing and lowering barriers to publication of student research. Since then, JEI has spread to over 30 research universities worldwide, with a volunteer staff of 180 PhD candidates and serving between 300-500 secondary students each year.
We think JEI is unique because we remain managed entirely by volunteer graduate students and postdoctoral fellows in the sciences. And we’re always looking for motivated and passionate graduate students to serve as new editors, peer reviewers, and management staff.
If you're a graduate student or postdoctoral fellow interested in helping develop the next generation of scientists, please consider applying for one of the positions below. If interested, email firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV and a cover letter describing why you'd like to work for JEI.
Associate Editor (Editorial branch)
- Coordinate peer review and provide students with mentorship to perfect their science
Copy Editor (Editorial branch)
- Copy-edit and teach students how to write scientifically in a clear, concise, and engaging manner
Proofing Editor (Editorial branch)
- Use Adobe InDesign to professionally format the final JEI article
Peer Reviewer (Editorial branch)
- Provide students valuable scientific feedback on their science and submit manuscript evaluations
Director of Marketing (Management)
- Coordinate student-focused (B2C) and program-focused (B2B) marketing strategies
- Manage JEI digital strategy, including social media, PPC advertising, and affiliate marketing
- Coordinate with Director of Outreach for online content creation
- Produce, maintain, and customize marketing materials used to recruit staff, solicit partnerships, and attract sponsors
Director of Strategy and Operations (Management)
- Develop and evolve mission statement, growth plans, and ongoing strategy for JEI
- Develop a long-term strategic direction, implement sustainable processes, and drive expansion of on-site programs beyond Greater Boston area
- Review and participate in development of non-profit and for-profit partnerships
VP of Financial Sponsorship (Management)
- Research potential opportunities for financial partners and grants
- Develop and maintain sponsorship guidelines
- Coordinate between Executive Committee and Board to determine best engagement strategy for potential sponsors
- Coordinate with Director of Marketing to customize materials for external engagement